The number of would-be international students making alternative study abroad arrangements ahead of the next academic year is increasing as COVID-19 continues to disrupt daily life around the world.
This is according to QS, who will be publishing the results of an ongoing survey filled out by students on their study abroad plans every fortnight. So far, two batches of data have been released, one of February 26 and the other on March 12.
“It is vital that universities remain flexible on application deadlines and start dates”
“By monitoring the disruption that the coronavirus is causing to prospective international students we hope that our latest research can help institutions plan more clearly for the next academic year,” said QS CEO, Nunzio Quacquarelli.
“The data still suggests that the impact of coronavirus is likely to be an issue of timing, it is therefore vital that universities remain flexible on application deadlines and start dates during this uncertain period.”
As of February 26, 27% of those surveyed said their study abroad plans had been impacted. However, by March 5 that number had risen 2% and by the following week, a total of 35% of respondents were saying their plans had changed.
Read more : Callan Quinn : The PIE News : 19 March 2020